Saturday, February 9, 2013

$30,000 or 900 hrs

$30,000 or 900 hours.

These numbers are going to come up a lot.

At some point, it is going to be pretty obvious I am using a shady accounting system to keep them equivalent, so let's just get that out of the way.

Both are arbitrary numbers. I had an idea that a good fundraising effort would net about a grand, and take about a week of full time work to pull off. I have no idea if this is true.  Much like the rest of the project, it's an experiment.  And maybe they aren't exactly the same thing, but I will be using a conversion factor to keep track of our total progress to goal.

1 hr = $33.33

This seems more than fair to me.  It's more or less what I make right now, and a lot of my professional friends make a lot more than that.  Seriously, our time is worth a pretty penny, and it seems fair to account for it as such.  When I think about that, the morning you spend helping to set up a charity 5K is basically a hundred dollar donation of your time.  Not shabby, right?

So when you email me to say you spent an hour running the 50:50 at the high school basketball game for the band, I'm going to convert that in dollars, and track our total progress to goal.  Make sense?

And as for hitting 30 total projects... I haven't decided how to deal with that yet.  I want this effort to represent the diversity of my own interests and the communities that we live in.   If we make $30,000 for only a few charities, I think that is still in the spirit of the project.

No comments:

Post a Comment